What is a bibliographic reference manager?
A bibliographic reference manager is a specialized tool to assist in the construction and editing of the bibliography accompanying any research study.
It allows you to:
- Create your own personal bibliographic database(s), also called personal reference database(s) .
- Save, by manual input or automatic import, bibliographic references and web bookmarks from an information search or from other bibliographic tools.
- Manage these references and the text of the associated documents.
- Present references according to a given publication style, to automatically generate the formatted bibliography in a publication and the citations in the corresponding text.
- Export the corpus of references, to publish it on the web and in some cases, to share your references.
What are the advantages of using personal bibliography software?
- Back up and archive references very rapidly, without having to type them all.
- Manipulate them easily using a database.
- Extract your bibliography in the desired format and automatically change the style for another publication.
- Share and access your references online. Benefit from the references diffused online by other users.
- Save time for your research work.
Need more help?
Need more help?
Université Rennes 2
Place du recteur Henri Le Moal
CS 64307. 35043 RENNES cedex
Phone: (0033) 2 99 14 12 79
To cite this guide
Malingre, Marie-Laure, Bougé-Grandon, Dominique. "Bibliographic reference managers". In UEB (European University of Brittany). Form@doct. Rennes: UEB, 2010 (last updated 4th July 2013). Available at:http://en.guides-formadoct.ueb.eu//referencemanagers